Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Tacos y Mantequilla


Carmen taught my mom
How to make tacos.
For that I am
Profoundly grateful.
I was four at the time.
I still make tacos
The way Carmen
Taught my mom...
So do my son and my daughter.

Carmen was happy
When we moved next door.
Mother to seven kids
In San Benito, Texas,
She sent first six
To kindergarten to learn English
In time for school starting.
Her youngest, Juanita,
Didn't have to go.
She learned English from me.
Unfortunately I learned
Very little Spanish in return.

What I did learn
Proved effective.
Once when Juanita
Refused to play
The way I wanted her to,
I shouted Mantequilla! to her
At the top of my lungs.
Apparently she
Understood using the word
Butter as an expletive.
She acquiesced
And played my way.

That was 1947.
Today in Toronto
I work on package
For Wal-Mart in the US.
I type: B-U-T-T-E-R
and
M-A-N-T-E-Q-U-I-L-L-A.

I wonder if they know
I put swear words
On their little
Bilingual box?

Bette
Toronto
8 Apr 08